Thursday, October 19, 2006

Over Engineering

I am so tired of running into clients who could have spent half the money for a system just as effective as the one they purchased. The reason for the over spending is typically over engineering. I am currently working with a client that hired a scale manufacturer to build them a custom batching system. It is a very basic automated fill application, but it has some problems and I am being called in to rescue. Well here’s what I am getting at. This system has WAY too much “What If” factor built in. To index 2 boxes on a conveyor the control panes has 14, 3 position control buttons and all to fill 1 box because they could not get the slow fill (2nd scale) to work. You have got to be kidding me! I understand that these are really smart guys developing these systems and so am I , but you do not have to prove your batching and design prowess on a simple scale batching system at the clients expense.

-John Russo scaleprogrammers.com

No comments: